Thursday, March 26, 2009

March 26th...one year ago

It's hard to believe it has already been one year since my beloved mother passed away. I feel strange giving much notice to this day since it's not this day that I wish to remember about my mother. No, in fact, I don't really want to recall this day very often. Rather, I'd like to remember her life every day before March 26, 2008. She was such a wonderful mom to me and my four older siblings. She was my best friend and confidante. She was a beautiful role model as a mother, a wife, a co-worker, and a friend. Her life represented love, joy, patience, consistency, perseverance, FUN and laughter, goodness, gratefulness, and happiness.

My two life-long best friends sent me precious cards to let me know that they were thinking of me and my family today. All day long, I really felt their love, support, and good thoughts. What gets me the most is that the words on each card represented a unique side of my mother. Although the cards were meant for me, I could easily recognize my mother's strength and character in the words:

"Friends cherish the special times they share when they're together. Friends look out for one another. Friends bring happiness into our lives. In every situation you know just what to do, you have that special touch that is uniquely you. I am thankful for a friend whose love is so well expressed by all the little things you do to bring others happiness."

I'm touched to be considered such a friend as mentioned above; however, I believe that I see those same traits in my mother. She was the best friend to me, which means she showed me how to be a friend.

"I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10). Every day God's presence is with you...His thoughts of you are countless...and His love for you is perfect."

My mother used to remind me of this scripture on a regular basis! So when I received it in this card, it just went all over me! It was meant to encourage me, and it did, but it also reminded me of the awesome influence and encourager that my mother was to me all of my life. My siblings and I were SO blessed to have parents who constantly challenged us and encouraged us with scripture.

So on this day, I remember my precious mother's life and all that she was to me and did for me. Her example is one that I hope to emulate as I mother my new baby PJ (and any other children we hope to have). So here's to YOU, Mom. I know you're celebrating and worshipping in the amazing, awesome presence of God Almighty! Frankly, I'm a little jealous...but I will join you one day when we will reunite again. In the mean time, keep an eye on all of us because we think of you daily and love and miss you terribly. Give Jesus a big hug for me, will ya?

2 comments:

Peggy Blann Phifer said...

Beautiful post, Christy. I've been thinking about my sister all day. It just doesn't seem possible, I agree. I miss her. Very much.

~aP

Unknown said...

Well written Babe. She is a great woman and we all miss her!