Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's Official

Payton Joy has weaned herself from breastfeeding. They say the best way to wean a baby is for it to happen naturally, so I guess I really cannot complain. She has been just fine - maybe a little more clingy to me than usual, which is normal - but she hasn't even tried to nurse again since Monday morning.

Around Thanksgiving, I started supplementing her nursings with organic milk-based formula, which she happily accepted. My supply had been diminishing, so I think she was excited to get more milk in general. So perhaps that addition made the weaning occur because now, barely two months later, she is not wanting to nurse at all.

I think this is harder on me than on her!! Breastfeeding is a very special relationship between a mother and her child. One that cannot necessarily be explained or ever duplicated. Losing that bond is a little sad but watching her gain independence and maturity is exciting. Our baby girl is growing up!! Our first year was perfect...and very special. I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to nurse PJ as long as we did, and I feel confident she is healthier and stronger because of it.

So if you think of it, please pray for ME during the next few days ahead (because PJ seems perfectly happy!). I know I'll be fine...and I know it's just one more milestone for all of us. She will be 13 months old next week, and I believe she is on the verge of walking...she's already taking 4-5 steps between Daddy and Mommy, and she gets SO excited!!

Love to you all~
Christy

No comments: